Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday Funday at The National Zoo

I've been wanting to go to the National Zoo for years and just hadn't gotten around to it which is why I put it on my '30 by 30'. It's kind of a shame to live so close and just not make it there! 7 months into my project and I can check it off the list. I picked today to go because I had the day off work as part of a planned vacation but was going to be back in town. There aren't many week days when I'm not working and in town so this seemed perfect. I (quite easily) convinced my girls Liz & Kellie to take the day off and come along. I was a bit concerned the weather wouldn't cooperate after some crazy thunder and lightning storms this morning, but alas, it worked out and our Monday Funday at the zoo is in the books.

So the good: We saw the Giant Pandas and let's be real, who doesn't go to the National Zoo to see one of the most elusive endangered animals? Kellie was convinced the pandas don't exist. She claims to have been to the zoo multiple times in the past few years and never had a panda sighting. We must have gotten lucky because the two giant pandas were out and about and one even walked around a bit proving it's not just a giant stuffed animal strategically placed. That's exciting to me, and not just because Manda rhymes with Panda (ok that's part of it). We also saw two monkeys cuddling which was quite frankly one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

Now the bad: The zoo, to quote Liz, was very underwhelming. I absolutely agreed. There just wasn't as much there as I thought there would be considering it is the National Zoo. We saw the lions, tigers, pandas, elephants and monkeys and such but it just seemed like we were barely there for 2 hours and went through the whole zoo. When I realized we had seen everything so quickly I think I blurted "that's it?". That basically sums it up. I grew up going to the zoo formerly known as the Baltimore Zoo all the time. It would be a whole day activity. Between the polar bears, the rhinos, giraffes, hippo house, water animals and the petting zoo (yeah ok I liked the petting zoo) it was very exciting. Maybe it's an age thing, but besides the pandas, the National Zoo was kinda eh. I talked to my mom on the way home and she said the last time she remembers going (which is probably the last time I went, about 15 years ago) it was so hot all the animals were in shade or inside. I guess I just had higher expectations for the Zoo overall. It wasn't a waste of time or anything, and I had great company and a fun Monday, but it was overall just underwhelming. If I wanted to do another Zoo day, I'd pay to go to the Maryland Zoo over the free National Zoo. Still, it's worth the easy trip as part of a bigger day hitting multiple Smithsonian museum. At the very least to see the pandas.

So the good news is that I crossed it off the '30', I ended my vacation with a day of great friends, and we finished the work-free DC day with a drink at Lauriol Plaza. Cheers to that!

giant panda
our tiger friend

cuddle monkeys

a relative, i think

our monday funday


No comments:

Post a Comment