Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Twilight Conquered

After 6 long weeks I've finished Twilight. I could actually write a quality dissertation on the relationship between Bella and Edward, but alas this is a blog, not an educational adventure, so I'll keep it brief. The good news is that the book was enjoyable and, unlike the film, I didn't fall asleep every time I went to read it. In fact I'm planning to watch the film again now that I've read the book. It was a good read especially considering my usual distaste for fantasy. I enjoyed the attention to detail in the storylines/history (conversion to Vampire, sixth senses) of each of the Cullens. There were a few things in the book that I didn't like. I felt some parts were really rushed, while others were given extensive detail. Also, I have trouble believing that Bella, even experiencing true love for the first time, would become such a different person. She makes reference to the fact that she doesn't even recognize her 'new self' which eases me, knowing it was in the plans. I also have trouble with Bella going along with everything Edward says/does. I understand it in terms of her infatuation and love, but she is so so quick to be ok with his lifestyle and the concept of vampires. Based on her early actions I would have bargained that she'd have more trouble coming to terms with (and believing) that the Cullens are this fantastical coven. I'm surprised she doesn't make more references to going a bit crazy. You're probably thinking, Manda, this is just a book. Yes, I understand, but it's a book with which people are absolutely obsessed. I kinda get it, and have to look past my disinterest in fantasy, I'm much more of a realist, but for what it's worth I'm glad I read it. I'm almost mad at the filmmakers who ruined the whole series for me ahead of time. Perhaps when I watch the film again, now that I've read the book, I won't find it so inconsequential. As far as reading the other three, it's not in the immediate plans, but never say never. Another '30' down.

No comments:

Post a Comment