Sunday, January 30, 2011

Visiting the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

One of the first items I added to my '30 by 30' Project was to spend a day a day at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.  I visited Yad Vashem during my Birthright trip to Israel in 2008, but I haven't been to the US Holocaust Memorial since, I believe, 1995 (year of my Bat Mitzvah). I wanted to make a USHMM visit an early list item. I've been meaning to go for quite some time. I had a feeling the experience at 29 would not be the same as the experience at 13.

We decided to "go green" yesterday (at least, sorta). Drove to New Carrollton and metro'd to the Smithsonian. Easy ride. Arrived to the Memorial (1 block from Metro) around 1pm.  It took us about 4 hours to get through the entire museum. I read as much as I could this time around. I think I skipped alot at 13. I also watched as many and as much of the films as time permitted, especially the films and audio recordings of Holocaust survivors. I do believe that it's the stories from witnesses and survivors that is the greatest gift and educational tool for future generations.

The USHMM is an excellent experience. It's so well managed and visitors are very respectful (no one is loud, running around, being obnoxious like you quite often find at other museum). I hate to sound cliche, but a visit to the Memorial absolutely puts life in perspective.

After the Memorial we metro'd over to Dupont and had dinner at the Palm.  I won a $100 gift card at our office holiday party. I'm not usually the fancy restaurant type.  It was absolutely delicious. We were back in the metro by 7:30pm and home by 9pm.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to the Holocaust Museum twice. The first time, it was kind of moving but I didn't get emotional like most people said I would. For some reason, the 2nd time REALLY hit me. Especially when I got to that scale model of the gas chambers...I lost it. Great museum...glad you got more out of it this time around. :-)

    ReplyDelete